Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mountain News Recipes - Hummus and Pita Bread

Hummus.... yummmmm....... I used to buy hummus at our favorite local Greek Food restaurant and then realized I could make it at home very easily. I also figured that I could figure out how to make Pita bread. How hard could it be? Turns out, not very hard at all. They both turned out delicious and one of my favorite things to have around the house. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Hummus

1-2 garlic cloves (or A LOT more)
3/4 tsp. salt (preferably kosher or sea salt because they are bigger and chunkier and more mild)
2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup yogurt
juice of two lemons (fresh or bottled)
4-6 Tblsp. olive oil (I use way more)
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika

Place garlic and chickpeas and salt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and paprika and process again until smooth. Taste for seasoning. I always seem to want more salt, lemon juice and olive oil. Make it according to your tastes! You can also add parmesan cheese if you like it thicker and richer.

Easy Peasy Pita Bread

1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tsp. yeast
1 Tblsp. sugar
1 Tblsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt (kosher or sea salt preferable but not necessary)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Oil for greasing

Beat together water, yeast, sugar, oil, salt and whole wheat flour until creamy. Add all-purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time, until you have a smooth dough. Knead until velvety and springy, a few minutes should do it.

Put in  oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Put a baking stone in oven to get good and hot or a cookie sheet. (These can also be made on a hot grill.)

Gently deflate dough and divide into 2 portions. Divide one of the portions into 8 chunks and form each into a ball. Let rest 10 minutes while dividing the other portion into 8 chunks and making them into balls also. You'll have 16 balls in all.

Flour surface and roll each ball into a 6-inch circle about 1/4th inch thick.

Transfer dough circles to hot stone or cookie sheet, as many as will fit and close oven door. Don't open door for 8 minutes, then check them. They should be puffed and light brown. Remove to a rack and let cool (or not. I eat them hot.)

*Some of them won't puff and it's no big deal. They still taste just fine. These keep well in a plastic baggy. My dogs LOVE these too. ;) Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I only like chick peas in hummus. As is I don't really like the mouth feel of them. I'm going to try your recipe this weekend. The hummus I have made in the past seemed bland to me.

    ReplyDelete